Thu 2 Dec 2021 to Sat 4 Dec 2021
Various locations across Coventry City Centre
Secret City Centre Location, Coventry
Duration: 2 hours
*You will be transferred to an external ticketing website.
Guideline Audience Age Range: 12+
7pm – 9pm approx.
Please note advance booking is essential, by 1pm the day before the performance. Your starting location will be secret and revealed to you 24 hours before you embark on your adventure.
becoming fungi, becoming forest is a guided tour of performance, poetry, moving image, mycelial and wild yeast experiences, choreography and singing at a series of secret locations across Coventry’s city centre.
We invite you to travel in small groups across the city to experience a performance celebrating the magic and beauty of being alive and part of the living world - even in a city. Inspired by Merlin Sheldrake’s book Entangled Life, we will imagine Coventry as a place of invisible connections and interacting ecosystems including humans, fungi, trees, microbes and other life.
We’ll take note of the nature around us - and even within us - from the fungi sprawling through and under city surfaces, to the yeasts living inside our body, to the fungi that link together with plants in complex networks known as the ‘Wood Wide Web’. We’ll experience how the human voice can replicate the complexity of these mycelial networks through polyphonic singing. We’ll listen to local stories from the Coventry Tree Wardens about saving Coventry’s urban trees and advocating the city as a forest.
We hope that through this experience you will transform your perception of who you are in relation to the city and natural world around you. And at such a critical time for climate change, with commitments from COP26 to reduce global warming, we ask how can Coventry be the best city for our planet?
Important information about the performance:
- Booking ends at 1pm, one day in advance of the performance.
- Please arrive at 6.45pm for a 7pm start.
- You will receive an email with travel instructions to your unique starting location in Coventry city centre 24 hours before the event day.
- Please be aware there are multiple starting locations, and audiences will be guided in four small groups. If you wish to be together in one group, please book all tickets in one transaction. This is however not guaranteed if numbers do not allow for it. All groups will end in the same location for the finale, and you will be guided back to your original starting location if required.
- The tour will take place both indoors and outdoors and will proceed rain or shine. Please dress for the weather.
- We will be gently walking between locations across the city for approximately 10 minutes each time. All routes are accessible for wheelchair users. Overall event duration will be approximately 2-2.25 hrs.
- At each location, we will have a few chairs available for those who need to sit down. Toilet facilities are available at the start location and along the route. Resting opportunities are available if required. We strive to make the performances as accessible and enjoyable as possible and would ask that any further accessibility needs be communicated at the time of booking by emailing [email protected]
Commissioned by Coventry City of Culture Trust and Coventry Biennial of Contemporary Art, with support from The Pod, MRC Centre for Medical Mycology at University of Exeter, British Mycological Society, Arboricultural Association, Coventry Tree Wardens, and GroCycle.
This project is part of #GreenFutures, supported by The National Lottery Heritage Fund and Severn Trent Community Fund.
Image: Photo (left) by Carolyn Deby. Illustration (right); Mycelial People by Ryan Alexander https://onecom.com